Gen. Patrick R. Cleburne

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Goddamnyankees

View previous topic :: View next topic  
btownsend
Site Admin

PostPosted:     Post subject: Goddamnyankees Reply with quote

"I'm going to march to Richmond. I expect to turn north by the end of the month, when the sun does - and when I go through South Carolina it will be one of the most horrible things in the history of the world. The devil himself couldn't restrain my men in that state."

Union General W.T. Sherman

Major-General Sherman, Savannah:

"Should you capture Charleston, I hope that by some accident the place may be destroyed; and if a little salt should be sown upon the site, it may prevent the growth of future crops of nullification and secession."

W.H.Halleck, Chief of Staff

Salt is to be sown over having the gall to secede. No mention of slavery.

"We love the Union because [and are willing to fight the South to keep the Union, not to free slaves] . . . it renders us now the equal of the greatest European Power, and in another half century, will make us the greatest, richest, and most powerful people on the face of the earth."

New York Courier and Enquirer (1 December 1860), quoted in The Causes of the Civil War, rev. ed., Kenneth Stampp, ed. (EnglewoodCliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall, 1974), p. 55

"Laughing soldiers [ in Columbia, SC] taunted the nuns and blew cigar smoke in their faces. "Oh, holy! We're just as holy as you are!...Now, what do you think of God? Ain't Sherman greater?"

"The Rev. Mr. Connor, a Methodist minister whose parsonage was burned, emerged with a sick child wrapped in a blanket. A soldier seized the blanket. "No!" Connor said, "he's sick." The soldier tore off the blanket and threw it into the fire. "D--n you," he said, "If you say one more word I'll throw the child after it."

Sherman's March--by-- Burke Davis- Page 58

"Negro women, especially in the surrounding countryside, were 'horribly' used. Regiments in the successive relays subjected scores of these poor women to the torture of their embraces...Horrid narratives of rape are given which we dare not attempt to individualize."
"One Negro woman, raped in Columbia by invading soldiers, who drowned her in a mud puddle."
"Federal troops opened new graves in search of jewels and other valuables, and when they found more horses and mules than they could use, cut their throats."

page 59

"James Courtney fifty fours years of age was killed by Yankees during Shermans March. Courtney was trying to save his home, which had been set on fire by Kilpatrick's men. Three times he outerned the blaze, only to have his home set afire again. The last time, he put the fire out, the Yankees were so enraged that they shot him in the leg as he stood in his yard and left him to bleed to death."

"In order to keep warm, Federal troops dismantled ever building in sight to be used as firewood in the town of Mareeville, South Carolina."

"As the towns church became a pile of rubbish, some of the most wicked of the raiders yelled out: "There goes your damned old gospel shop."

From Sherman's March--by--Burke Davis

"After the Battle of Aiken, South Carolina, a squad of Confederate General Wheeler's scouts found an old man leaning upon a gatepost sobbing in front of a farmhouse. After an inquiry, the old man, a local Baptist minister, told the scouts in a trembling voice, "My daughter. A bunch of Yankees raped her---They just left here."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NamSouth Forum Index -> Memories Of Dixie All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: