Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Roastnears

View previous topic :: View next topic  
btownsend
Site Admin

PostPosted:     Post subject: Roastnears Reply with quote

http://freenorthcarolina.blogspot.com/2014/07/roastnears.html

Via Sister Anne

"*I was home –don’t know if I was married or not. Mother was writing letters at her desk and I was in the library. She called to me and asked if I knew how to spell roastnears. I called back and said r o a s t i n g e a r s . There is silence and she appeared at the library door in shock. She had never realized where the word came from!"

*Anne graduated from UNC Chapel Hill in 1951 back when it was still sane. My mother graduated from St. Mary's back when it was the last two years of high school and the first two years of college. She was almost expelled because she crossed the street in front of the school with her male cousin, but without a chaperone! :)

================

Brock,

Mother went to St Mary’s for I year. Littleton High School where she graduated was not an accredited school so St Mary’s took Mother with the understanding that she would come for 1 year & then her second year she would enter the college. That did not happen. She was miserably homesick for 1 thing & the other was that Granny died & left her the money to go to music school for 1 year. They sent her to Richmond as that is where her dermatologist was. She suffered with acne. She excelled at the Richmond Conservatory of Music & they offered her a scholarship for another year but she married Daddy instead. I so often think about that. It is such a shame that Mother had to leave NC. She rarely saw her relatives & Daddy did not go back down there with her even to visit Grand Pap & Grandmammie. I will always be grateful that she had 8 years here. She loved it & had nice friends & was close to my children. Billy was wonderful to her. Strange, I was thinking about it the other day. We know dozens of Townsends & never see our Pippen cousins. There are just 6 of us cousins. We should try to get together. I was so happy that Bill & I could have such a nice evening with Joe when we were in Chicago last October. Well, so much for that bit of family history.

xo

Anne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NamSouth Forum Index -> Memories Of Dixie All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: