Gen. Patrick R. Cleburne

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

UC Diving

View previous topic :: View next topic  
btownsend
Site Admin

PostPosted:     Post subject: UC Diving Reply with quote

I was diving with a buddy in South Laguna one day among the kelp and I kept thinking my fins were getting caught in it. My buddy motioned me to go up, but I didn't want to as I was chasing fish. At any rate, he looked frantic again, I went up and he said a Moray was biting a fin.:) They are great to eat, but better shoot them through the head or they may go for you. At Dana Point at low tide you could take a short bamboo pole with heavy wire leader, shrimp on the hook and poke under large rocks for them. They live a long time out of water in a wet burlap sack. but die immediately in fresh water. Almost lost one in my kitchen sink when it started going down the drain, but it was the garbage disposal side fortunately. :)

Abalone was the most expensive meat in the world back then. My favorite was breaded. "Off The Steps" refers to an area between *San Clemente and Capistrano Beach off the coast highway. There are steps coming down from the palisades and if you go directly out from there, they are in 18/20 feet of water. They were so big at least back then, because it was so dirty that you could only dive it a few times a year. I got the then California record for Green Abalone here. North of that a few miles is Dana Point where I had my boat. If you go out to the red buoy, you can find big scallops in 80/90 feet of water. We would bring them up and eat them after squeezing lemon or lime on them and hot sauce. Excellent. Lobsters there and big Sheephead also. Almost drowned once as I had a bag full of scallops, then chased a fish and ran out of air, I would kick some, then exhale and finally I thought this would be the last shot and although I didn't make it, I saw the surface, best breath of air I ever breathed. Of, course it would have been easier if I had dropped the bag............:)

http://www.namsouth.com/viewtopic.php?t=25&highlight=dana+point
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NamSouth Forum Index -> Memories Of Dixie All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: